Ah, rap. A glorious mix of braggadocio and electrified cool. What used to be a genre that turned street pain into commercial beauty, now tends to boast its wealth, fame, and materialism to all us plebs. More often are rap songs turning into odes to diamonds, designer brands and cars, and representing a utopia that no one else is allowed to be a part of. But that doesn’t mean these shiny stars aren’t just like us. For all their glitz and poetic justice, sometimes rappers just simply state the obvious and perfectly relate to the common man.
Here are 20 rap lyrics that’ll make you go, well duh, but then also, that’s weirdly kind of relatable.
1. “Livin’ at my momma’s house, we’d argue every month.” – Drake, ‘Started From The Bottom’
If there’s one universal struggle, it’s this. No matter who you are, we all feel the same stress that comes from being stuck at your mum’s house. And if you ever need an excuse to leave? Just tell her Drake told you to.
2. “I floss every day, but I ain’t a dentist.” – Nicki Minaj, ‘Truffle Butter’
While absolutely a random statement, this is very true. Very few of us in this world are dentists, but yet we still floss every day and make sure our teeth are healthy and clean. What’s up with that? Thank god Nicki said something.
3. “You can order a Quarter Pounder at McDonald’s.” – Eminem, ‘The Ringer’
Again, this is very true. You absolutely can order a Quarter Pounder at McDonald’s. We have. Have you ordered a Quarter Pounder at McDonald’s, Eminem?
4. “I light a candle, some Palo Santo.” – Post Malone, ‘Hollywood’s Bleeding’
If there’s one thing we know for certain, it’s that lighting up a candle and some Palo Santo is absolutely one hell of a vibe. In fact, if you do it and say his name three times, Post will actually appear in the flames and congratulate you! (Not really, but give it a go anyway.)
5. “But I’m trying to eat healthier, so I ate a veggie.” – Lil Wayne, ‘Wowzers’
Us too, Lil Wayne, us too. Have you tried HelloFresh? We have a friend code …
6. “I wanna move to Dubai, so I don’t never have to kick it with none of you guys.” – Drake, ‘Free Smoke’
While it’s not obvious who Drake’s referring to, the relatability sure is. In fact, the only thing that doesn’t make this relatable is the fact that Drake can actually do it.
7. “It’s 2:30 and the sun is beamin’, air conditioner broke and I hear my stomach screamin’. Hungry for something unhealthy.” – Kendrick Lamar, ‘The Art of Peer Pressure’
Kendrick absolutely knocked it out of the park with this one. How on earth did he so perfectly convey our every afternoon feeling? Our stomachs constantly yearn for a delicious treat when it hits after-lunch-snack-time. Nice to know the elites’ do too.
8. “Didn’t watch the game, you can see that s**t on replay.” – Post Malone, ‘Big Lie’
100%, Post. Why would we watch the game when we can just catch the replay? We’ve got so many better things to do. You get it.
9. “I like hot sauce on my chicken.” – 21 Savage, ‘Bartier Cardi’
A lot to unpack here. Is this a brag or simply just a statement? Either way it’s relatable AF.
10. “I pay my own mortgage and electric.” – Big Sean, ‘Blessings’
Congrats, Big Sean, so do the noble. Granted, your bills are probably way heftier, but potato, potahto.
11. “Can you not turn off the TV? I’m watchin’ the fight.” – Young Thug, Goodbyes
God, we’ve all been there. How absolutely frustrating is it when you’re watching TV and someone switches the channel, or rather just stands in front of the screen? Clearly, it’s happened to Young Thug a few too many times.
12. “Working on a weekend, like usual.” – Drake, ‘Life Is Good’
This one goes out to all you retail and hospo workers. We see you; we hear you, and we love you.
13. “I had a bad day at school, so I ain’t talkin’.” – Eminem, ‘Legacy’
The classic get home from school, run straight to your room; no stopping for food or chats or nothing. Even Eminem’s been there.
14. “Folding clothes, watching Netflix. Catching up on our shows, eating breakfast.” J. Cole, ‘Foldin Clothes’
This one speaks for itself really. Welcome to Pleb World, J. Cole.
15. “Put it on airplane mode so none of those calls come through.” – Cardi B, ‘I Do’
Whether we’re catching a flight, movie, or just straight up ignoring all contact with the outside world, you bet we switch to airplane mode too.
16. “I’m in the kitchen, baking pizza with a crust.” – Machine Gun Kelly, ‘Smoke and Drive’
Little is left to the imagination here, but most definitely at one point in our lives we too have been in the kitchen baking pizza with a crust.
17. “Now spend all your money, ‘cause today payday.” – Nicki Minaj, ‘Starships’
Of course we shouldn’t do that, but you can’t tell us the thought hasn’t ever crossed your mind. Setting something aside in store to come back and purchase once it’s payday is one of our favourite hobbies, what do you mean?
18. “And I wake up every day.” – Post Malone, ‘Paranoid’
No vagueness, no blur; this is just one cold hard fact. And we appreciate the honesty.