“I don’t feel famous, fame is a funny word. There’s a lot about celebrity culture, there’s a lot about fame that I find quite absurd.” – Andrew Hozier-Byrne.
The introverted and quietly charming Irish musician, singer and songwriter we know from his multi-Platinum, Grammy-nominated anthem ‘Take me to Church’, captured our attention from the very beginning with his humble nature. We’ve come to know Hozier as intelligent, kind, thoughtful in his manner, and just as much of a talented artist as he is a decent human being.
Here’s 10 other things we know about Hozier:
1. This guy really cares
I’m talking – big political activist. He’s known to publicly voice his opinions both in interviews and in hit singles. He touches on domestic abuse, anti-gay violence, equal rights and recently he’s teamed up with @Soundwaves_Art to produce canvas’s to raise funds for @WarChildUK. There’s limited pieces available so I’d get to his gram ASAP to snap one up!
2. He’s hella tall
Bonus. We have a whole 6 foot 3 (with luscious locks on top) to look at on stage.
3. His first album cover was painted by his Mum
She also designed the latest album cover for Wasteland, Baby! where we see photos of Hozier chilling on a chair underwater. He reveals in one interview, he genuinely did have a room filled with water in Germany to shoot those photos – it wasn’t photoshop!
4. He didn’t vibe with the teen years
He describes it as a difficult time between youth and adulthood where you don’t really know where you fit in. He took the role of class clown to avoid social hierarchies.
5. Fans were able to call him at a point
No kidding. Hozier released his personal number on Twitter after the release of his first album so fans could call him! Check it:
6. His old man was a blues drummer
– And a good one, in the Dublin pub band ‘Free Booze’. The rare mix of Dad’s love for the blues and limited access to crappy internet, were two factors that drove Hozier to constantly skim through his Dad’s records. Pop music never really ticked his boxes; he soon grew his own love for the power of blues and jazz.
7. He’s a pisces
Yep, the caring, creative, compassionate, tender and sensitive star sign. Not a hard one to guess. But get this – he’s born on March 17th, 1990.. St Patty’s Day!
8. His new album was a result of isolation, and screaming
Hozier admits that living in the countryside with no neighbours or noise meant he could scream into the microphone, and write lyrics. Definitely not the result I get when I have some alone time…
9. People often get his name wrong
It’s pronounced hozey – er. You’re welcome.
10. He’s coming back to us!!!
For the first time in four years, Hozier returns to Auckland’s Spark Arena since performing a sell-out in 2015. He’s playing material from his celebrated new album Wasteland, Baby! and it’s not one to miss. See you 28 April.